Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Measure of a man/woman

I have a quote in my office by Martin Luther King that reads..."The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." I read this every day and I wonder if I could live this out. There have been moments where I can say yes to that and there are moments where I can honestly say no.

Underneath the quote I have copied a picture of a cross. At the cross Jesus experienced much controversy and the challenge of a lifetime, yet on the cross he lived out what he taught. He held on to what he believed. His character of who He was and is can be seen most clearly on the day when it looked like all was lost, yet it was only the beginning. Jesus says it so eloquently in John 16:33, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." The cross was not the end, but the beginning. May we all take courage in the fact that if we are His disciples and follow in His Way we will face controversy, we will face challenges. But take heart, He has overcome the world! 

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts!. Courage is difficult to find when we stand alone, but is available in spades when we stand God.

    ReplyDelete